New Delhi, The Modi government has taken a big decision while taking strict vigil on the rising incidents of rape from minors. On Saturday, the central cabinet approved the death penalty for the convicted criminals of girls below 12 years of age. Ordinance will be issued soon for this. The Cabinet has also decided that all the measures for fast investigation and hearing will be done in cases of rape.
The seriousness of the matter can be estimated from the fact that Prime Minister Narendra Modi called the Cabinet meeting as soon as he returned from the foreign tour. The meeting lasted for about two and a half hours at the Prime Minister’s residence agreed on amendment in the Paxo Act. The Government has taken this decision at a time when there is anger in the country with rising incidents of ill-treatment with innocent girls.
The minimum punishment of rapists has been increased from 10 years to 20 years of age for girls under the age of 16 years. The culprit can also be given life imprisonment. Not only this, it has also been made in the Ordinance that a girl convicted of raping a girl under the age of 12 years will be punished with minimum 20 years of imprisonment or life imprisonment.
As soon as the Ordinance is issued, the courts will be sentenced to death by the children of less than 12 years of age. Official sources said that through this Ordinance, the amendment to the IPC, CrPC and the Evidence Act will include a new provision for death penalty for such offense in Paxo Act.
After the incidents of Kathua Gangrape, Surat and now Indore, there is a demand for strict punishment from such criminals. Talking about lack of strict law, the central government is being erected in the dock. It is being exhibited in many places in the country. Amendment in the Paxo Act will be added to the provision of punishment-e-death in cases of rape with children below 12 years of age.
Special Considerations of Cabinet Decision-
Through the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018, the Government wishes to create a sense of security in the cases of rape, especially with women and especially young daughters of the country. In the cabinet meeting, serious concerns were expressed on the recent incidents of rape in the country. Given the seriousness of the matter, the Cabinet has decided to bring an ordinance.
– The minimum punishment for women from rapes has been increased from 7 years to 10 years. It can also be changed in life imprisonment.
– The minimum punishment for raped girl below 16 years has been increased from 10 years to 20 years. It can be changed in captivity till death.
– The sentence of gangrape has been made temporarily by the girl under the age of 16 years.
– A young girl under the age of 12 years can be punished with imprisonment for a minimum of 20 years or a Tailor jail or death.
– A child under the age of 12 years will be punished for gang-raping or death.
Fast check and hearing
– In all cases of rape, the timing of the investigation has been fixed, which will be mandatory to be completed within 2 months.
– In all cases of rape, the deadline for hearing has also been determined, which is 2 months.