PM Narendra Modi and CM Yogi Adityanath launch the Atma Nirbhar Abhiyan
On the 26th of June 2020, Friday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Atma Nirbhar Uttar Pradesh Rojgar Abhiyan through video conferencing in the presence of chief minister Yogi Adityanath. In Uttar Pradesh, nearly 30 lakh migrant workers returned to their native districts following the loss of livelihood in metropolis due to the Covid-19 lockdown.
The objective of the Atma Nirbhar Abhiyan is focussed on generating employment opportunities in 31 districts of the state which have reported more than 25,000 returnee migrant workers.
Here are the key points from PM Modi’s inauguration speech:
• PM Modi in his address said that the bravery shown by Uttar Pradesh in the face of the Coronavirus crisis is commendable. “I salute the people of Uttar Pradesh. All of you have set an example for the world,” said the PM.
• Be it UP’s doctors, paramedical staff, sweepers, policemen, ASHAs, Anganwadi workers, bank and post office colleagues, transport department partners, labor colleagues, everyone contributed with full devotion: PM
• The efforts and achievements of Uttar Pradesh are massive because it is not just one state, but a bigger state than many countries of the world. People of UP are realizing this achievement themselves, but if you know the figures, you will be surprised even more: PM
• The combined population of France, Italy, Spain, and the UK is equal to Uttar Pradesh’s population. More than one lakh people have died in these countries but in UP only 600 died due to Covid-19: PM
• I am confident that other states can take inspiration from Yogi Ji’s leadership given how he has turned a disaster into an opportunity: PM
• We can say that in a way, the UP government has managed to save the lives of at least 85 thousand people! Today if we are able to save the lives of our citizens, then it is also a matter of great satisfaction: PM
• We could not have expected these results in UP by earlier governments before 2017: PM
• Under the Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyan, many works are being started in villages to increase the income of laborers: PM
• About 60 lakh people are being given employment in small industries i.e. MSMEs in schemes related to village development. In addition to this, a loan of about 10 thousand crore rupees has been allocated to thousands of entrepreneurs under the Mudra Yojana for self-employment: PM
• PM Modi also interacted with some migrant workers from Jalaun, Bahraich, Gonda districts among others to take stock of the assistance they received from the government during the lockdown and to also generate employment locally.
• Ahead of launching the initiative, PM Modi had said in a tweet that the ‘Self-reliant Uttar Pradesh Rozgar Abhiyan’ aims to promote local entrepreneurship along with providing employment opportunities to migrant workers.
• CM Adityanath said that during the Covid-19 crisis, “the way the Prime Minister has shown the direction to the country and gave the message of ‘Jaan bhi aur Jahaan bhi” is highly appreciable. Following a similar direction, Uttar Pradesh is working for the welfare of its laborers by providing them employment. The step has been taken under Prime Minister Modi’s dream of Self-reliant India.”
• CM Adityanath said that the Uttar Pradesh government has successfully completed the skill mapping of over 3 lakh migrant workers. Among those mapped, a large number of workers used to work as construction laborers in cities and in the real estate sector. Among others are tailors, drivers, and domestic cleaners.
• As part of the Atma Nirbhar Bharat initiative, 5,000 workers will be distributed tool-kits. These workers consist of ironsmiths, tailors, hairdressers, carpet weavers, soap makers, tanners, and textile workers among others.