Colombo, Sri Lanka has declared an emergency for 10 days after communal violence between the Buddhists and the Muslim community. The violence started in the Kandy district of Sri Lanka, due to which the government has declared an Emergency. Learn what is the reason for violence between the two communities …
Before the riots, there was a violence in Amrapara town of eastern province of Sri Lanka on February 26-27, 2017. Since then, the fire of violence was getting cleansed, which took the form of big violence.
– At present, this violence has occurred mainly in candy, but the government has imposed an emergency in the whole country with this apprehension so that it does not spread in other parts.
– The government has imposed Emergency all over the country, but the curfew has been imposed solely in violence-hit district Kandy.
Like in Myanmar, in Sri Lanka, there has been a growing tension between Muslims and Buddhists for a long time. Here Sinhalese Buddhists see the minority Muslim community as a threat.
– Even after the LTTE’s rise, Sri Lanka has succeeded in dealing with it. But, there is a large section of Sinhalese Buddhists in Sri Lanka, who see the people of non-Sinhalese and Muslims as a threat to themselves.
In 2014 there was a large scale riot in Sri Lanka. According to an estimate, 8,000 Muslims and 2,000 Sinhalese had to be displaced in the violence.
– Bodo Bala army, a staunch Buddhist organization in Sri Lanka, is also held responsible for such violence. This organization’s general secretary Galagoda Aithi Gananasara has often said that the growing population of Muslims is a danger to the Sinhalese Buddhists of the country.
– The strong position in the business of people of the Muslim community has also been seen as a threat to the extremist group of Buddhists.
– In Sri Lanka, the population of Buddhists is close to 75%, but here the people of the Tamil community and Muslims are seen as a staunch Buddhist organization as a threat.
In an interview given in 2014, Galagoda Aithi Gananasara had said that the extremism of the Muslim community is a threat and they are helped by countries from the Middle East.